Interview with Mat & Nats Inder Bedi
For anyone who needs inspiration to start a vegan business, look to Matt & Nat founder Inder Bedi.
Ever daydreamed of owning your own, vegan business? Of course! Who wouldn’t want a career in line with the call to be passionately committed to the veg lifestyle? By following your ethics as well as your bliss, business can really boom. Case in point? How about Matt & Nat, the ultra-hip, totally glam accessory line that can be seen on A-listers all over, and proves once again that living a veg life does not mean sacrificing. With a new sister line, Samsara, just launched earlier this year, you might say that the company has success in the bag. Inder Bedi, founder of Matt & Nat, chatted recently with VegNews about starting vegan company, building ethics into every aspect of a business, and how success enables him to give back.
VegNews: How has being a vegan company—and one that promotes veganism—affected your business?
Inder Bedi: Very rewarding on a personal level, but difficult sometimes in fashion circles in the past when you have to explain how the quality of synthetics are comparable to leather, etc. They are more open minded these days as veganism is starting to be recognized as a green movement and many retailers are seeking eco-responsible products.
VN: Would you say that the majority of your customers are attracted to the fact that your bags are cruelty-free, or are they simply interested in the high-fashion look?
IB: Our customers are more interested in the look, however they do appreciate the fact that the company stands for something beyond dollars and cents.
VN: How do you see your role in the business world, as someone who is actively making eco-friendly, vegan products high-fashion and highly desirable?
IB: I often take on the role of marketing spokesperson, educating all different partners of the business—especially retailers—the importance of balancing fashion with social responsibility. This is important to myself on a personal level first and it has also become our niche approach.
VN: Matt & Nat seems to be thriving, to what do you most attribute your success?
IB: People recognize the positivity in our company and products, our customers have been the biggest ambassadors of our brand, our approach has been grassroots and underground, and we also have a great team for all aspects of business from design to logistics.
VN: As a successful business, what kind of responsibility do you have to give back to the community?
IB: We give back to many different types of charities all over North America and Europe, from animal-rights to battered women’s shelters to feeding 400 homeless people a vegetarian meal twice a year in Montreal. An example of all this is a new brand we just launched, Samsara. One dollar for every bag sold goes to the charity of your choice. In three months since the launch, we’ve already committed more than $16,000!
For more tips from the experts on how to make your veg dream job a reality, check out the July+August issue of VegNews, which hits newsstands everywhere July 1.
A Vegan Father's Day Letter to an Omnivore Dad
Want to give your father a great gift on his special holiday? Tell him why he should go vegan.
Read More »
The Ultimate Vegan Road Trip PART ONE
The first in our two part-series begins in the Northeast and ends in Sweet Home Chicago.
Read More »
Sizzling Vegan Summer Beauty Brands and Tips
Its too hot to contour, and who has time to paint a painstaking smoky eye when there are veggie burgers to grill and rosé to drink?
Read More »
9 Simple Steps to Making a Vegan Man Cave for Father's Day
This Father's Day, gift Dad with a perfect vegan addition to his sanctuary.
Read More »
8 Easy Ways to Have a Relaxing Father's Day
This June 17, you might be surprised by what Dad really wants …
Read More »
- 7 Glittery, Fabulous, Thrilling, Uncompromising, Inclusive, Vegan Ways I Plan on Celebrating Gay Pride Month
- 28 Vegan Father's Day Gift Ideas for Every Kind of Dad
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- 5 Ideas for a Great Vegan Spring Wedding
- 5 Zero-Waste Tips for Vegans
- 40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
- How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
- 5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
- 7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
- Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List