SeaWorld Worker Poses as PETA Employee
Employee placed on leave after allegations that he worked with PETA under a false identity.
According to People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), a SeaWorld Entertainment employee posed for years as an animal-rights activist under an alias, attempting to incite radical illegal activity and leak information about protest tactics to SeaWorld administration. The man, who identified himself as Thomas Jones to PETA, joined and organized protests against whale captivity across the country, such as holding anti-SeaWorld signs in front of SeaWorld’s float at New York’s 2013 Thanksgiving Day parade and outside its San Diego, CA., theme park. When Jones was arrested with other PETA volunteers at the 2014 Rose Parade in Pasadena, CA, but was quickly released without being processed, PETA employees began investigations into his identity. Based on photographs and license plate numbers, the animal-rights group now believes the man is 28-year-old Paul McComb, a SeaWorld employee since 2008. Furthermore, neither of the addresses Jones provided when signing up for PETA check out: one is fake and the other belongs to Ric Marcelino, director of security at SeaWorld San Diego. Jones attempted to rally radical action in messages with other protesters and through social media: He Tweeted to ask if anyone wanted to help him “drain the new tanks at #seaworld” and organize “more direct action protest … get a little aggressive,” urging activists to “grab your pitch forks [sic] and torches!” in early July. In light of these allegations, SeaWorld has reportedly put an employee—they did not name McComb—on paid leave and hired an outside firm to lead an investigation. “The allegations made against a SeaWorld employee are very concerning,” SeaWorld Chief Executive Officer Joel Manby said. “These allegations, if true, are not consistent with the values of the SeaWorld organization and will not be tolerated.” PETA, which does not use fake names in its undercover investigations, is exploring available legal options. Katie Arth, media liaison of the animal organization, says these actions show that "SeaWorld is desperate: they sent in a clumsy spy and tried to infiltrate animal-advocate groups to distract from what's really going on, which is that these wild animals are denied everything that is natural to them so SeaWorld can make money for circus shows.” SeaWorld stocks continue to fall, and celebrities such as One Direction’s Harry Styles have recently spoken out against the company’s cruel practices.
IKEA to Debut Vegan Hot Dog at Boston Music Festival
The furniture superstore's newest plant-based food option will make its first appearance at music festival Boston Calling this weekend before expanding to IKEA locations nationwide this fall.
Read More »
Paul McCartney: "Meat-Free Is the New Rock and Roll"
McCartney reminisces about a time when meatless entreés meant a plate of steamed vegetables and believes that in 25 years, vegetarian diets will be the norm.
Read More »
Impossible Burger is Now Certified Kosher
The Orthodox Union deemed the plant-based patty kosher, broadening Impossible Burger's customer base to include those with religious dietary restrictions.
Read More »
Residents to Sue Iowa Over Hog Factory Farm Emissions
Factory farms in the largest hog-producing state in the United States are under fire for spewing toxic, ammonia-filled air into local communities.
Read More »
Oat-Based Milk Brand Launches Vegan Ice Cream Line
Swedish vegan milk brand Oatly debuts five flavors of oat-based ice cream.
Read More »
- Vegan-Friendly Pizza Slice Shop to Open in NYC
- Beyond Meat to Debut Beyond Breakfast Sausages
- World's First Vegan Chicken Shop Opens Convenience Store
- Vegan Coffee Shop Thrives in "Steak Country"
- Vegan French Macaron Shop Opens in New Orleans
- Kroger Launches Vegan Recipe Contest
- Vegan Shoe Brand MINK Sells 10,000 Pairs in 2018
- Global Pizza Chain Adds Vegan Cheese to US Locations
- DIY Asian Bowl Chain Adds Vegan Meat to Menu
- Kat Von D Plans to Throw a Big Fat Vegan Wedding
- Philly's First Vegan Deli to Open in Historic Food Hall
- Veganism Fueling Global Demand for Coconut Milk
- Animal Sanctuary in Mississippi Gets a Facelift
- Utah Mayor Goes Vegan to Set Example for Citizens
- UK Makeup Guru Says Vegan is "The Right Thing to Do"
- Karlie Kloss Touts Beyond Burger as the Future of Meat
- NY Fireman Credits Veganism for Helping Him Save Lives
- Researchers Uncover Plant-Based B12 Breakthrough
- Sacramento to Host Month-Long Vegan Burger Battle
- The Walking Dead Star Austin Amelio Goes Vegan