EXPOSED: The Egg Industry's Plot to Eliminate Just Mayo
Insider emails reveal two years of illegal plans for FDA to persecute vegan company, Hampton Creek.
A series of emails between executives at the American Egg Board (AEB) and the US Department of Agriculture reveal an extensive, illegal plan to take down Hampton Creek, the vegan company behind egg-less mayonnaise product Just Mayo. In a 2013 email to her colleagues, AEB CEO Joanne Ivy identified Beyond Eggs (Hampton Creek’s first vegan product) as a “major threat” and asked, “What are we doing at AEB with regard to this competing product?? We need to have an answer!”
The response was to disparage Hampton Creek in several ways: in addition to paying $43,000 to a crisis management firm to design a plan to hinder Hampton Creek’s success—namely through paying influential bloggers to plant USDA-approved egg endorsements and strategic letters sent to The Wall Street Journal and The Huffington Post—the AEB paid contractor Anthony Zoletzzi an undisclosed sum to keep Hampton Creek off shelves at Whole Foods Market, stating, “Imagine the PR buzz … if Whole Foods was on our side.” Additionally, members of the egg industry threatened via email to put a “hit” on Hampton Creek founder Josh Tetrick. One email stated, “Do you want me to contact some of my old buddies from Brooklyn to pay Mr. Tetrick a visit?”
In 2014, Unilever—the makers of Best Foods mayonnaise—filed suit against Hampton Creek for allegations that Just Mayo’s label was misleading because of the product’s lack of eggs. While the AEB acknowledged they could not publically back Unilever’s suit, in a 2014 email, Ivy stated that she spoke with the counsel for Unilever and advised him to “make sure the FDA is aware.” If they weren’t, she said, “Maybe they need to be pushed.” On August 12, the FDA issued a warning to Hampton Creek stating that the company was in violation of regulations related to the identity of mayonnaise, stating that the product did not contain eggs and was therefore misleading to consumers. Controversy arose over the FDA’s labeling regulations and the intent of the agency’s actions toward Hampton Creek was publically scrutinized.
The various communications released today and obtained through the Freedom of Information Act prove that the AEB (in conjunction with the USDA) is in violation of five federal laws enacted to protect unfair competition, misappropriation of funds, and withholding of information.
Veganism Fueling Global Demand for Coconut Milk
The coconut milk industry is expected to boom as the world population continues to steer clear of cow's milk.
Read More »
Abused-Animal Sanctuary in Mississippi Gets a Facelift
Newly reimagined Hope Animal Sanctuary features 20 tiny houses that serve as comfortable habitats for rescued animals.
Read More »
Utah Mayor Goes Vegan to Set Example for Citizens
Park City Mayor Andy Beerman will not consume animal products for 10 days—and possibly beyond—to show city residents that plant-based eating is easy.
Read More »
UK Makeup Guru Says Vegan is "The Right Thing to Do"
Jessica Rose urges makeup artists to use only vegan products to avoid supporting animal exploitation for vanity's sake.
Read More »
Karlie Kloss Touts Beyond Burger as the Future of Meat
The Victoria's Secret supermodel—and founder of female empowerment brand Kode with Klossy—visits Beyond Meat's California production facility and chats with Top Chef winner Brooke Williamson about the revolutionary plant-based patty.
Read More »
- NY Fireman Credits Veganism for Helping Him Save Lives
- Researchers Uncover Plant-Based B12 Breakthrough
- Sacramento to Host Month-Long Vegan Burger Battle
- The Walking Dead Star Austin Amelio Goes Vegan
- Virtual Reality Program Lets People Talk to Animals
- Comfort Food Eatery Greedi Vegan Opens in Brooklyn
- Designers Create Vegan Leather from Coconut Water
- Vegan Chain Cinnaholic Expands to 136 More Locations
- JUST Debuts Vegan Chocolate Mint Cookie Dough
- Three-Story Vegan Complex to Open in UK
- Amazon Names "Meat-Free" Top Summer Grilling Trend
- British Baker Veganizes Royal Wedding Cake
- New Vegan "Bleeding" Burger Debuts
- Vegan Beer Industry to Expand Due to Millennial Demand
- Hugo Boss Debuts Pineapple-Leather Vegan Sneakers
- Vegan Game Now Available for Free on Nintendo Switch
- White Castle Gives Out Free Vegan Sliders
- Häagen-Dazs Debuts Vegan-Friendly Ice Cream Locator
- Mexico-Based Vegan Taqueria Opens First US Shop
- Denver Eatery Veganizes All Its Doughnuts