5 Vegan Things Im Buying After I Win Powerball
Animals shelters of the world will be empty after I win big tonight.
As of this writing, tonight’s Powerball is up to $1.5 billion. And, naturally, I plan on winning. When I do, here’s how I’m spending my money.
1. A dog
No, I’m not buying a dog, not with so many ready to be adopted right now in shelters across the world. I will, however, go to said shelters and adopt however many they’ve got because I’m 36 years old and I’ve never had a dog. I’ve had plenty of cats in my life and can attest that the difference between two and five is not that great. Therefore, going from never having to pay for dog food, treats, toys, and veterinarian visits to having to pay for 42 bags of dog food, treats, toys, and veterinarian visits is probably doable for me, especially considering I never have to work another day in my life.
2. Become a fixture at cattle auctions
Sounds like a strange choice for a vegan, right? Perhaps, but I’ve always told myself that if I got filthy rich I would purchase as much land as possible. Then, with that land, I would go to every cattle (and chicken, turkey, horse, etc.) auction possible, outbid the other farmers, bring my new friends to Rancho de Ryan, and take care of them to the best of my abilities. No small cages, hormone injections, or slaughter. Just a life that allows them to roam as they please.
3. Pay off student loans
There’s nothing vegan about this, per se, but without that annoying monthly payment, do you know how much money I’ll have to spend on kale each week? I’ll put kale in my smoothies for breakfast, I’ll have kale salads for lunch, devour bags of kale chips at snacktime, nosh on kale ice cream for dessert … so, basically, nothing will change except I’ll be stinkin’ rich.
4. Start a business
My mom has always wanted to see the letters “CEO” after my name, so I think I’ll start a business. However, rather than creating a brand that will sell products and turn a profit, my business will be to take over all those food companies that exploit, torture, and kill animals. And before the ink dries on the contracts, I’ll close them all—effective immediately!—and bring the existing animals to my farm.
5. Invest in Ethical Companies
Vegan companies will no longer need Kickstarter because I’ll give them all the money they want (after my team of accountants looks over the paperwork, of course). All I ask in return is every business I fund be named after me and include a picture of my face on each product. Don’t worry—I don’t want any of the profits. Now that I’m rich, it’s all about the ego. Take that, Li Ka-shing!
Ryan Ritchie is senior editor at VegNews.
5 Fun Holiday Movies that Vegans Can Enjoy
Enjoy the spirit of the season while learning a message about compassion with these five flicks.
Read More »
How a 30-Day Vegan Bet Turned Me into a Media Powerhouse
Six years ago, I went vegan to help my wife and her celiac disease. Now, were ethical vegans, and I have a blog, two books, and an internet cooking show.
Read More »
You Are 5 Minutes Away From Having the Perfect Vegan Winter Face
Get your seasonal glow in less time than it takes to brew your morning coffee.
Read More »
VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest 2017 Finalists
Drum roll, please! We present the 10 finalists in this year's VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest.
Read More »
18 Vegan Things We Can't Wait to Try in 2018
The new year is quickly approaching, and vegan cannabis gummies, bottled Starbucks Frappuccinos, and three new vegan whipped cream options await on the other side.
Read More »
- Top 10 Vegan Stories of 2017
- No, Hemp Will Not Get You High. Yes, You Need it Anyway.
- 10 Vegan Beauty Products at CVS That Will Save You Some Coin
- Dear Vegans: The Holidays Don't Have to Suck
- 8 Vegan Winter Boots That Will Make You Look Hot
- Top 10 Vegan News Stories of 2017
- 4 Easy Ways to Support Animals During the Holidays
- Veganizing Korean Food, As Told By An American Expat
- VegNews Vegan Wedding Application 2018
- The Healthcare Industry Will Go Completely Vegan, If These Doctors Have Anything to Do With It
- 9 Vegan Cosmetics Youll Buy as Holiday Gifts, Then Probably Keep For Yourself
- If You're A Vegan Stoner, We Have the Perfect Cooking Competition for You
- Forget Milk and Eggs. These 8 Vegan Substitutes Will Make Your Holiday Baked Goods 100 Times Better
- 5 Reasons Animal Testing Will Soon Be a Thing of the Past
- 4 Incredible Ways Animals Can Help Your Child in Need
- VegNews Holiday Gift Guide 2017
- Vegan Black Friday Deals That Will Make You Whip Out Your Credit Card
- 9 Things VegNews Editors Are Thankful For
- Stand in Line (or Not) for These 5 Vegan Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals
- 7 Foolproof Ways to Help You Survive Thanksgiving As a Vegan