5 Must-Have Vegan Starbucks Snacks (+ Drink Pairings!)
Dont drink your coffee sans snacks—let our resident Vegan Barista help you find your new favorite coffeehouse munchie.
Whether we have a mountain of work to finish or just want to relax with some fragrant, roasty warmth, nothing gets the job done like a strong cup of joe. Luckily, there’s always a Starbucks (or three) in the vicinity, which means we’ve got a plethora of ways to stay well-caffeinated and alert for the day. That said, no coffee run is complete without a little something to nibble on, so next time you’re in the green coffeehouse, don’t sip your espresso solo because our resident Vegan Barista (and VegNews editor) compiled the perfect vegan bites to complement your daily java fix.
Select United States stores got a chance to get their hands on Rhythm Super Foods kale chips last summer, and they were such a hit that they’re being rolled out nationwide. Made with sunflower seeds, tahini, vegetables, and lemon juice, you can get your nutrient-dense crunch on in Zesty Nacho or Kool Ranch Flavors.
Drink pairing: Make it a Brassica blowout with an Evolution Fresh smoothie (cold-pressed premium juice blended with a banana and ice—be sure to substitute soy or coconut milk for the standard Greek yogurt) with an added boost of fresh baby kale.
Washington-based company Pretzel Perfection delivers on their brand name with artisanal, gluten-free pretzel sticks. Each bag delivers a wallop of flavor thanks to vegan Worcestershire sauce and provides serious crunch from being double-baked. Pick up a pack of Garlic Herb, Tomato Basil, or Chipotle BBQ and get snacking.
Drink pairing: A Teavana Shaken Iced Black Tea offers deep, oaky flavors in a refreshingly lip-smacking iced offering that stands up well to the rich, malty seasoning of the pretzels.
Peanut butter cups
Justin’s has long been making our nut butter dreams come true, and this has never been more the case than when we learned we could pick up dark chocolate peanut butter cups while in line for our lattes. Organic, Fair Trade, and Rainforest Alliance Certified, these creamy melt-away cups are much better for both you (and the environment) compared to those dairy-laden childhood versions you remember.
Drink pairing: Regardless of what your barista is brewing at the moment, you can pick whatever roast the store has available for an individual serving via a French Press or Clover machine. Single-origin medium roast Guatemala Antigua is a rich offering with cocoa and subtle spice flavors—perfect for enhancing the dark chocolate goodness of your peanut butter cups.
Those looking for something sweet can get their fill with the help of Peeled Snacks Apple Clusters—chunks of organic apple pieces rolled into puff-dried crunchy clusters. Made with only two ingredients—apples and apple juice—each bag contains five whole organic apples and provides a full serving of fruit without fat or preservatives.
Drink pairing: Starbucks’ line of Refresher beverages are unique in that they’re light and sweet like tea, but they’re made from green coffee beans, real fruit, and fruit juice—so you get your jolt of caffeine without the roast. Pop some Berry Apple Clusters between sips of a Very Berry Hibiscus Refresher.
Black truffle almonds
Aromatic black summer truffles combined with sea salt and roasted California almonds taste like they should be eaten from of a fancy bowl, but you’ll gladly pop them by the handful.
Drink pairing: A few of these decadent nuts along with a double shot of dense, caramelly sweet ristretto-pulled espresso, enjoyed slowly, will transport you to an Italian coffeehouse.
Vegan barista tip: Snack offerings are always changing and vary by region, so ask your local barista for nutrition information if you get your hands on a new find!
18 Vegan Things We Can't Wait to Try in 2018
The new year is quickly approaching and vegan cannabis gummies, bottled Starbucks Frappuccinos, and three new vegan whipped cream options await on the other side.
Read More »
No, Hemp Will Not Get You High. Yes, You Need it Anyway.
Hemp seeds are a healthy superfood that can help vegans (and everyone else) get the protein and healthy fats they need for optimal health.
Read More »
10 Vegan Beauty Products at CVS That Will Save You Some Coin
Your local drugstores makeup aisles are full of cruelty-free hidden treasures.
Read More »
Dear Vegans: The Holidays Don't Have to Suck
Embracing the holiday season also means embracing new ways of improving your life.
Read More »
8 Vegan Winter Boots That Will Make You Look Hot
Dropping temperatures dont mean forfeiting fashion.
Read More »
- 4 Easy Ways to Support Animals During the Holidays
- Veganizing Korean Food, As Told By An American Expat
- VegNews Vegan Wedding Application 2018
- The Healthcare Industry Will Go Completely Vegan, If These Doctors Have Anything to Do With It
- 9 Vegan Cosmetics Youll Buy as Holiday Gifts, Then Probably Keep For Yourself
- If You're A Vegan Stoner, We Have the Perfect Cooking Competition for You
- Forget Milk and Eggs. These 8 Vegan Substitutes Will Make Your Holiday Baked Goods 100 Times Better
- 5 Reasons Animal Testing Will Soon Be a Thing of the Past
- 4 Incredible Ways Animals Can Help Your Child in Need
- VegNews Holiday Gift Guide 2017
- Vegan Black Friday Deals That Will Make You Whip Out Your Credit Card
- 9 Things VegNews Editors Are Thankful For
- Stand in Line (or Not) for These 5 Vegan Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals
- 7 Foolproof Ways to Help You Survive Thanksgiving As a Vegan
- An Open Letter to 18-Year-Old, Soon-to-Be-Vegetarian Me
- 6 Vegan Thanksgiving Dinners for Any Food-Obsessed New Yorker
- 15 Vegan Hacks for Your Favorite Fast-Food Joints
- Olympic Medalist Bicycles Into Massive Vegan Concert, FTW
- 8 Ways to Veganize Everything in Your Fridge Without Anyone Noticing
- Is Your Meat-Eating Loved One Driving You Up the Wall? Here's How to Deal.