Vegan Weddings 2016 (Jac Reasor & Jae Russell)
Dating site OKCupid is to thank for this Latin-inspired wedding.
Jac Reasor & Jae Russell
The big day: July 25, 2015
The place: Cleveland, OH
Honeymoon: A tropical escape to Costa Rica
The cake: Orange-zest cupcakes with orange-creamsicle frosting, classic vanilla cupcakes with vanilla bean frosting, and chocolate cupcakes with Oreo frosting
Menu standouts: Build-your-own-taco bar with beans, guacamole, salsas, and cashew nacho-cheese sauce; Spanish rice with lime, tomato, and cilantro; Mexican slaw with vegan mayonnaise
Guest swag: One-of-a-kind temporary tattoos and living centerpieces
Their story: Jac Reasor was just about to delete her OKCupid account when she decided to check her messages one last time. If the school psychologist hadn’t followed that impulse, she would have missed the note from her future wife, a fellow animal-loving vegan named Jae Russell. Jae—an Arizona-based occupational therapist—registered with the online dating site at the urging of friends, who convinced her that having connections within Cleveland’s LGBTQ community would help with her planned move there. Ten months later, she and Jac had created a life together in The City of Progress and Prosperity with a menagerie of beloved rescue pets.
The wedding: Jac and Jae dreamed of a destination wedding, but decided to tie the knot at an art gallery in Cleveland so everyone they loved could attend. Jac took the lead on planning, weaving their love of Day of the Dead iconography, art, and Mexican culture into the details. Friends visiting Oaxaca sent cutout paper decorations and candy for the piñata, and a friend of Jae’s father created artisanal candles poured in colorful jalapeño cans. The south-of-the-border theme extended to the wedding menu, which celebrated the plant-based bounty and bright flavors of Latin America. “Some people said, ‘You gotta have chicken,’” recalls Jae, “but we weren’t ready to compromise. We knew that a vegan menu meant everyone could eat. And who doesn’t love Mexican food?” Emotions skyrocketed when Jac and Jae walked themselves down the aisle and peaked when the Buddhist monk blessed their union. At the cocktail hour between the ceremony and reception, guests noshed on peach bruschetta and sipped sangria while a mariachi band played. For the reception, Jac swapped white for red vintage lace and sneakers, while Jae wore her “Gangsta Bride” outfit, launching into a personalized rendition of a Dr. Dre classic with “Nuthin’ But a ‘J’ Thang.”
We give you our 2016 Vegan Wedding Couples!
Alex Payne & Nicole Brodeur (Woodstock, NY)
Andrea Dermos & Kyle Domer (Laguna Beach, CA)
Malissa Schwartz & Chad Sarno (Huntsville, UT)
Jac Reasor & Jae Russell (Cleveland, OH)
The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
Marty's V Burger has taken off thanks to a unique vegan patty made with seitan, rice, and beans.
Read More »
10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
Plant-based oatmeal cups let you begin your day in a quick and delicious manner.
Read More »
8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
Affordable and long-lasting, stickers are a great way to help spread the vegan message.
Read More »
This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
Eight-year-old Elias ran a lemonade stand to raise money for a rescued sheep.
Read More »
It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
Many men are reluctant to go vegan for irrational reasons. Were here to fix that problem.
Read More »
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene
- If Trader Joe's Made These 11 Frozen Foods Vegan, We'd Never Have To Cook Again
- 8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
- If You're a Broke Vegan Student, Read This
- It's Time Your Dog Went Vegan
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- Did You Know César Chávez Was Also an Animal-Rights Activist?
- 10 Medical Reasons to Skip the Eggs on Easter
- 5 Startup Food Companies About to Revolutionize Veganism
- 10 Vegan Easter Candies We Want To Find in Our Easter Basket
- Rise Against Adds Veganism to Its Politically Charged Music
- 8 Reasons to Forget Keto and Go Vegan
- Meet the Vegan Anthropologist Changing Academia
- Vegan Food Will Be Served at the NFL Draft, Thanks to This Dallas Chef
- 5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat