6 Ways to Queer Your Vegan Valentine's Day
For LGBTQ vegans and their biggest fans, February 14 is about to get a whole lot gayer. VegNews Senior Editor Jasmin Singer will settle for no less.
These days, I’m in the mood to #resist—and since part of that resistance means being even louder and prouder about my gayness than ever before, I’m ready to queer anything that crosses my path, including Valentine’s Day. Are you with me? Then here’s what I suggest:
1. Gay vegan music
Set the mood with music. As a child of the '80s, I strongly believe that those tunes should take the form of queer vegan rocker Joan Jett—your perfect (and perfectly hot) V-Day serenader. While it’s true that “I Love Rock and Roll,” what I might love more is Jett’s commitment to the cause, which leaves me very much in the mood (for philanthropy, that is).
2. Gay vegan chocolate
Chocolate is obviously mandatory on Valentine’s Day, so I recommend queering it up by biting into a Furious Vulva made by artisanal vegan chocolate-maker Lagusta’s Luscious. And there’s really nothing more I need to say about that.
3. Gay vegan dining
No, but really, there’s nothing I love more on Valentine’s Day than eating out. That’s why I recommend that you find your favorite local queer-owned vegan eatery. Some possibilities for rainbow veggie destinations include Two Mammas Vegan Kitchen in Oakland, CA; Vtopia Restaurant and Cheese Shop in Portland, OR; and Viva Vegeria in San Antonio, TX. Support your local plant-based queer.
4. Gay vegan ice cream
If you’re like me, you’re a gay man trapped in a lesbian’s body, so after you’re done belting the entire soundtrack to anything-Sondheim, you might want to treat yourself to some Strawberry Balsamic Ice Cream by VegNews Bloggy Award Winner Vegan Mos. Headed by dapper husbands Michael Suchman and Ethan Ciment (whose book NYC Vegan is about to drop—along with my homesick tears), you’ll fall in love with this duo’s talent to make food delicious, luscious, and sexy.
5. Gay vegan ethics
Speaking of “the Mos,” they are main players in a video I produced called “Coming Out for Animals,” which captures the stories of how LGBTQ activists have made the connection to animal-rights. It’s a different-spoke, same-wheel kinda thing—you catch my drift. Animal-rights and LGBTQ rights are actually intimately enmeshed, which is a reminder to each of us to celebrate our love for V-Day by showing solidarity for other oppressed groups.
6. Gay vegan sex
Right. And no Valentine’s Day is successfully queered without a hemp rainbow flogger. Rest assured that nobody was harmed in the making of that sexiness (unless they wanted to be).
Jasmin Singer is the Senior Editor (and love columnist) for VegNews, the author of the memoir Always Too Much and Never Enough, and the co-host of the Our Hen House podcast.
8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
Affordable and long-lasting, stickers are a great way to help spread the vegan message.
Read More »
This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
Eight-year-old Elias ran a lemonade stand to raise money for a rescued sheep.
Read More »
It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
Many men are reluctant to go vegan for irrational reasons. Were here to fix that problem.
Read More »
We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
Classics such as Jaws, Dumbo, and King Kong would be so much better if they were filmed through a vegan lens.
Read More »
8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
Plant-based foods have become the megatrend of the year thanks to innovative products taking up more space on grocery store shelves.
Read More »
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene
- If Trader Joe's Added These 11 Vegan Frozen Foods, We'd Never Have To Cook Again
- 8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
- If You're a Broke Vegan Student, Read This
- It's Time Your Dog Went Vegan
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- Did You Know César Chávez Was Also an Animal-Rights Activist?
- 10 Medical Reasons to Skip the Eggs on Easter
- 5 Startup Food Companies About to Revolutionize Veganism
- 10 Vegan Easter Candies We Want To Find in Our Easter Basket
- Rise Against Adds Veganism to Its Politically Charged Music
- 8 Reasons to Forget Keto and Go Vegan
- Meet the Vegan Anthropologist Changing Academia
- Vegan Food Will Be Served at the NFL Draft, Thanks to This Dallas Chef
- 5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat
- Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
- Vegan St. Patricks Day 101
- It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
- 5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden