Ethical Vegan Sex
To get the lowdown on ethical sex, read VN's guide on how to put the "passion" back into compassion.
In the age of stretchy cheese, scrumptious chick'n filets, and fashionable manmade shoes, it's about time the sex industry caught up with humane alternatives. While most intimacy items found on drugstore shelves fail cruelty-free standards, there are many great options available online for conscious consumers.
One of the best ways to protect against unwanted pregnancies and STDs is to use a condom, but the traditional processing of latex involves casein, a milk protein. Fortunately there are several cruelty-free safe-sex alternatives on the market. Founded in Australia in 1990, vegan prophylactics and dental dam innovator Glyde has long since gone stateside with its ethical offerings. Particularly impressive is Glyde's line of fruit-extract-flavored condoms in strawberry, blueberry, vanilla, and wild berry. While Glyde paved the way, newer companies, such as RFSU (Swedish Association for Sexuality Education) and Natural Sensation, have emerged to give consumers more options. Despite the uncomfortable cartoon packaging on RFSU's products, they offer a wide selection of condoms, including one for increased sensitivity. For a non-latex option check out Natural Sensation's condoms, made with synthetic resin. To try any one of these on for size, head over to one-stop online shop Vegan Essentials.
Veg women need to be especially careful when choosing a contraceptive since most hormone-based varieties, like the pill, patch, and implant, contain animal-derived ingredients and have been tested on animals. Oral contraceptives such as Lybrel and Lo Ovral, produced by pharmacy giant Wyeth, contain lactose. The good news is that Pfizer's Depo-provera, a contraceptive injection, is in the clear (though its other products contain lactose and magnesium stearate). Representatives from Ortho-McNeil-Janssen Pharmaceutical, Inc., manufacturers of the widely available Ortho-Evra contraceptive patch, confirmed that its product is also free from animal-derived ingredients.
Behind Closed Doors
Once the issue of contraception is sorted out, it's safe to set the mood. Since aromas can aid in arousal, invest in some soy-wax candles. Choices abound over at A Scent of Scandal, where sophisticated scent combinations come with clever names, such as "Morning Wood," a mix of sandalwood and amber, and "original sin," which blends fig leaves, lemons, dates, coconut, and musk. If candles don't do the trick, try out some eco-friendly perfumes and colognes. Pacifica's line of spray perfumes, especially the woody and resine fragrances, are perfect for getting-and keeping-attention. Men looking to find sensuous, eco-friendly products should explore the selection at Herban Cowboy. For the best in cruelty- and friction-free togetherness, The Sensual Vegan, a VN award-winning adult online store, offers a great selection of lubricants and toys. A classic and simple choice would be the flavorless Yes organic lube. To spice things up, check out one of Hathor Aphrodisia's flavored lubricants, in hazelnut caramel, coconut orange, or chocolate strawberry.
5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat
If youre a vegan high school student, health class just might be the hardest course to pass.
Read More »
Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
Share your work with the world, and spread the vegan message? Yes, and yes.
Read More »
You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
This year, set your Easter table with cruelty-free plates, faux-grass runners, eggless-eggs, and compostable dessert plates.
Read More »
It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
They might not understand at first, but with the help of documentaries and delicious meals, your parents will understand that your veganism is more than just a fad.
Read More »
5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
After being sentenced to 240 years behind bars, I wondered: how could I turn my dirt-filled life into something beautiful? I decided to dig deep.
Read More »
- The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- Rapper Styles P's Juice Shops are Introducing More Hip-Hop Fans to Plant-Based Living
- Cafeterias Across the Country are Going Vegan. Here's Why ...
- We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
- A Vegan Teen Guide to Ordering Food at Non-Vegan Restaurants
- 5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
- How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books