Forks Over Knives Documentary Makers Talk Sex
The masterminds behind Forks Over Knives discuss how adopting a vegan diet can amp things up between the sheets.
Last year’s much-hyped documentary Forks Over Knives made waves and inspired many to go vegan with its compelling argument for the benefits of a plant-based diet. Then last month, the makers of the hit film released a new video focusing on how veganism can boost one’s sexual health and performance. Intrigued, we caught up with Brian Wendel, the film’s creator and executive producer, for an inside look at why ditching meat and dairy is so hot—in more ways than one—as well as the team’s new Farms 2 Forks program.
VegNews: What inspired the Forks Over Knives team to make a video focusing on veganism and sexual health?
Brian Wendel: We thought a short video that had some humorous elements would be a good way to provide an educational piece that was a little more in-depth than what we covered in the film. We had some good footage that we shot for the film that we hadn’t used, and this seemed like a great way to implement it with an interesting message.
VN: For those who haven't yet seen the video, can you summarize the ways that going vegan can improve one's sex life?
BW: Sexual dysfunction is an indicator of the same problems that lead to cardiovascular disease, and the same plant foods that promote the free-flow of blood to the heart also promote the free flow of blood “downstairs,” if you will.
VN: Any advice on certain foods that can enhance "performance"?
BW: It’s not so much the specific foods that matter as much as the overall diet. If one’s diet is based in low-fat, whole-plant foods, this is a winning formula.
VN: What is the new program Farms 2 Forks, and what does it offer attendees?
BW: Farms 2 Forks is a new collaboration with [Rip Esselstyn’s] The Engine 2 Diet, comprised of weekend retreats where we will teach attendees the ins-and-outs of a whole-food, plant-based diet through hands-on activities. People will be able to go home feeling confident about the diet, and know how to make it delicious and effective for reaching good health and optimum weight.
VN: Does the FOK team have any plans to create more short films or another full-length feature film?
BW: We recently released The Engine 2 Kitchen Rescue, wherein Rip Esselstyn goes into two different families’ homes, cleans out their pantries, and provides some basic lessons on making healthy, plant-based meals. We are looking at some other opportunities for a new video right now, but nothing concrete. In the meantime, we are finally launching our new website by April 1, and releasing a new book in June.
VN: How does it feel to see so many big names (Ozzy Osbourne, Jason Mraz, Russell Brand, etc.) citing FOK as a major influence in going vegan?
BW: The fact that the film has helped so many people go vegan, whether big name or not, has been the most gratifying experience of my professional career. It’s amazing when celebrities announce their support of the film, because they in turn help us reach so many people that may not otherwise hear about it.
For information about entering a Farms 2 Forks immersion program in a city near you, visit their website for testimonials, speakers, a schedule of events, and more, or check out Forks Over Knives on DVD or Netflix now.
5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat
If youre a vegan high school student, health class just might be the hardest course to pass.
Read More »
Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
Share your work with the world, and spread the vegan message? Yes, and yes.
Read More »
You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
This year, set your Easter table with cruelty-free plates, faux-grass runners, eggless-eggs, and compostable dessert plates.
Read More »
It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
They might not understand at first, but with the help of documentaries and delicious meals, your parents will understand that your veganism is more than just a fad.
Read More »
5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
After being sentenced to 240 years behind bars, I wondered: how could I turn my dirt-filled life into something beautiful? I decided to dig deep.
Read More »
- The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- Rapper Styles P's Juice Shops are Introducing More Hip-Hop Fans to Plant-Based Living
- Cafeterias Across the Country are Going Vegan. Here's Why ...
- We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
- A Vegan Teen Guide to Ordering Food at Non-Vegan Restaurants
- 5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
- How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books