7 Must-Have Vegan Summer Beauty Essentials
We fill you in on everything you need to protect your skin, plus three one-ingredient beauty recipes.
Greetings, compassionate cuties! Summer’s almost here, and if you’re anything like me, you’re ready to hit the beach, soak up some sun, and chillax to the max. There are so many vegan and cruelty-free sunscreens, sunless tanners, moisturizers, makeup lines, and accessories to choose from that you can easily enjoy your fun in the sun completely guilt-free (and looking your best!). Here are some of my favorite cruelty-free beauty must-haves for summertime’s hot-hot heat.
Sunscreen: Jason Natural Cosmetics SPF 30 Mineral Sunscreen—What I love most about this sunscreen is that it goes on smoothly, rubs on clear, and is gentle enough for sensitive skin. It’s also contains chamomile and marigold, which calm and soothes the skin.
Sunless Tanner: Alba Botanica Very Emollient Sunless Tanning Lotion—We all know that baking in the sun can be unhealthy and dangerous, so opt for a safe alternative with the perfect sunless tanner. This formula is streak-free, all-natural, and highly effective—no Oompa Loompa skin this summer!
Moisturizer: Earth Science Almond-Aloe Facial Moisturizer SPF 15—This moisturizer is super light, non-greasy, and is perfect for day or night.
Insect Repellent: Lafe's Organic Baby Bug Repellent—This gentle botanical oils formula is very effective, comes in a charming BPA-free bottle, and one percent of sales goes toward supporting breast cancer prevention and awareness.
Hot Summer Lipstick: Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Anime—If you’re looking for the go-to lipstick shade for summer fun, look no further. This hot pink shade is perfect for grabbing the attention of vegan beach boys. You go, girl.
Mineral Foundation: All Natural Face Mineral Foundation—This foundation offers beautiful coverage with light-reflecting minerals and UV protection. Its 51 shades are made from just a handful of natural ingredients, and it works with virtually any skin type.
Now that we’re all stocked up on summer essentials, let’s get our skin primed for sun-lovin’ perfection! Whether you have oily, dry, combination, or mature skin, there are some powerful antioxidant and vitamin-rich fruits and veggies that have the ability to transform your visage. Mosey on over to your kitchen and try these simple DIY beauty fixes.
3 Super Easy One-Ingredient Beauty Recipes
1. Banana. Mash one overripe banana and spread it onto your face. After 15 to 30 minutes, rinse it off with warm water. The natural fruit acids and vitamins in this face mask buff away dead skin cells, making it ideal for acne-prone skin—but it works wonders for all skin types.
2. Apple cider vinegar. Dilute one part apple cider vinegar with two parts water and use a cotton ball to apply it to your face as a toner. This toner is also great for acne-prone skin—it helps to clear blemishes by keeping your skin’s acidity in check and killing bacteria. Bonus: it fades age spots, too!
3. Avocado. Mash an avocado and leave it on your skin for 10 minutes. Avocados have natural sunscreen properties and they also help boost collagen and elastin cell growth, which means fewer fine lines and wrinkles.
For more of Sunny Subramanian’s awesome beauty recipes and product reviews, head on over to veganbeautyreview.com.
8 Vegan Foods You're Pronouncing Wrong
Take your veganism to the next level by saying these eight hard-to-pronounce words with confidence.
Read More »
Groundbreaking Vegan Medical Center to Open This Fall
Barnard Medical Center will be one of the first of its kind to combat disease through a plant-based diet.
Read More »
The Best Vegan Diet Tips for Long-Distance Running
Matt Frazier, aka the No Meat Athlete, shares everything you need to know about how to run marathons on a plant-based diet.
Read More »
Sneak Preview: What's on the Menu at Chloe Coscarelli's NYC Restaurant?
The 27-year-old chef is the latest to make the leap from cookbook author to restaurant owner, with her first New York eatery opening this month.
Read More »
How One Rancher's Wife Used Crowdfunding to Finance the Animal Sanctuary of Her Dreams
Want to open your dream vegan business? New-animal sanctuary owner Renee King-Sonnen has been there, done that—and shares four tips to make it happen.
Read More »
- 10 Essentials for the Ultimate Fourth of July
- How One Man Survived Mount Everest and the Nepalese Earthquake
- 11 Things You Didnt Know About Pigs
- Top 10 Male Vegan Bloggers
- Vegan Fathers Day, Flowchart-Style
- 5 Reasons Im Glad to Be Vegan
- Subscriber Appreciation Month: VegNews' Office Tours!
- 9 Vegan Foods For Healthy, Beautiful Skin
- Vegan St. Patricks Day 101
- The #1 Way to Make Sure You Eat Your Greens First
- 6 Delicious Ways to Get Vitamin C
- The Unlikely Health Benefits of Coffee
- 31 Changes in 31 Days
- The Top 15 Vegan Instagram Photos of 2014
- The Top 15 Stories of 2014
- Millennium Named "Restaurant of the Year"
- The Top 15 News Stories of 2014
- The Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2014
- Earth Balance Named "Company of the Year"
- The 2014 Veggie Awards