7 Must-Have Vegan Summer Beauty Essentials
We fill you in on everything you need to protect your skin, plus three one-ingredient beauty recipes.
Greetings, compassionate cuties! Summer’s almost here, and if you’re anything like me, you’re ready to hit the beach, soak up some sun, and chillax to the max. There are so many vegan and cruelty-free sunscreens, sunless tanners, moisturizers, makeup lines, and accessories to choose from that you can easily enjoy your fun in the sun completely guilt-free (and looking your best!). Here are some of my favorite cruelty-free beauty must-haves for summertime’s hot-hot heat.
Sunscreen: Jason Natural Cosmetics SPF 30 Mineral Sunscreen—What I love most about this sunscreen is that it goes on smoothly, rubs on clear, and is gentle enough for sensitive skin. It’s also contains chamomile and marigold, which calm and soothes the skin.
Sunless Tanner: Alba Botanica Very Emollient Sunless Tanning Lotion—We all know that baking in the sun can be unhealthy and dangerous, so opt for a safe alternative with the perfect sunless tanner. This formula is streak-free, all-natural, and highly effective—no Oompa Loompa skin this summer!
Moisturizer: Earth Science Almond-Aloe Facial Moisturizer SPF 15—This moisturizer is super light, non-greasy, and is perfect for day or night.
Insect Repellent: Lafe's Organic Baby Bug Repellent—This gentle botanical oils formula is very effective, comes in a charming BPA-free bottle, and one percent of sales goes toward supporting breast cancer prevention and awareness.
Hot Summer Lipstick: Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Anime—If you’re looking for the go-to lipstick shade for summer fun, look no further. This hot pink shade is perfect for grabbing the attention of vegan beach boys. You go, girl.
Mineral Foundation: All Natural Face Mineral Foundation—This foundation offers beautiful coverage with light-reflecting minerals and UV protection. Its 51 shades are made from just a handful of natural ingredients, and it works with virtually any skin type.
Now that we’re all stocked up on summer essentials, let’s get our skin primed for sun-lovin’ perfection! Whether you have oily, dry, combination, or mature skin, there are some powerful antioxidant and vitamin-rich fruits and veggies that have the ability to transform your visage. Mosey on over to your kitchen and try these simple DIY beauty fixes.
3 Super Easy One-Ingredient Beauty Recipes
1. Banana. Mash one overripe banana and spread it onto your face. After 15 to 30 minutes, rinse it off with warm water. The natural fruit acids and vitamins in this face mask buff away dead skin cells, making it ideal for acne-prone skin—but it works wonders for all skin types.
2. Apple cider vinegar. Dilute one part apple cider vinegar with two parts water and use a cotton ball to apply it to your face as a toner. This toner is also great for acne-prone skin—it helps to clear blemishes by keeping your skin’s acidity in check and killing bacteria. Bonus: it fades age spots, too!
3. Avocado. Mash an avocado and leave it on your skin for 10 minutes. Avocados have natural sunscreen properties and they also help boost collagen and elastin cell growth, which means fewer fine lines and wrinkles.
For more of Sunny Subramanian’s awesome beauty recipes and product reviews, head on over to veganbeautyreview.com.
A VegNews Exclusive with the Face of Vegan Russia
Elena Shifrina began BioFoodLab after realizing there wasnt a healthy vegan snack bar in her country. Today, shes leading a plant-based movement that has everyone screaming nostrovia.
Read More »
6 Reasons Why Organic Isn't the Answer
Diseases decrease, methane gas is lowered, and communities flourish when farmers switch to veganic methods.
Read More »
Vegan Street Art is Taking Over Los Angeles
We sat down with the creative mind behind some of Los Angeles most recognizable vegan street art.
Read More »
Getting to Know Vegan Ballerina Agnes Muljadi
When it comes to sustainable fashion and fitness, this vegan dancer is en pointe!
Read More »
5 Ways Vegan Boyfriends are Awesome
On National Boyfriend Day, lets celebrate the cruelty-free guys who light up our lives.
Read More »
- 10 Vegan Beauty Finds That'll Make You Feel Like a Kid Again
- 4 Ways to Win a Vegan Chili Cook-Off (If Im the Judge)
- Why Action Star Maggie Q is a Real-Life Vegan Heroine
- A Vegan Guide to the Hamptons
- The Tropical Vegan Inn You Must Visit Now
- 5 Vegan Reasons to Get Excited for Fall
- 5 Reasons Hindu Vegetarians Should Go Vegan
- How a Book Blogger Became a Vegan Social Media Influencer
- A Vegan Guide to Ann Arbor
- 15 Vegan Things at Costco You Need to Try Now
- 5 Things I Learned Working with Pigs This Summer
- 10 Secrets You Never Knew About Hampton Creek
- 4 Questions with the Owners of Galaxy Hut
- 7 Tips for Talking to (a lot) of Vegans
- The Ultimate Vegan Road Trip PART TWO
- Highlights from LAs Hottest Vegan Summer Party
- The Ultimate Vegan Road Trip PART ONE
- 5 Areas Where Activism Can Impact Change
- 9 Vegan Foods to Eat While Watching Game of Thrones
- 6 Helpful Tips for Going Vegan