7 Must-Have Vegan Summer Beauty Essentials
We fill you in on everything you need to protect your skin, plus three one-ingredient beauty recipes.
Greetings, compassionate cuties! Summer’s almost here, and if you’re anything like me, you’re ready to hit the beach, soak up some sun, and chillax to the max. There are so many vegan and cruelty-free sunscreens, sunless tanners, moisturizers, makeup lines, and accessories to choose from that you can easily enjoy your fun in the sun completely guilt-free (and looking your best!). Here are some of my favorite cruelty-free beauty must-haves for summertime’s hot-hot heat.
Sunscreen: Jason Natural Cosmetics SPF 30 Mineral Sunscreen—What I love most about this sunscreen is that it goes on smoothly, rubs on clear, and is gentle enough for sensitive skin. It’s also contains chamomile and marigold, which calm and soothes the skin.
Sunless Tanner: Alba Botanica Very Emollient Sunless Tanning Lotion—We all know that baking in the sun can be unhealthy and dangerous, so opt for a safe alternative with the perfect sunless tanner. This formula is streak-free, all-natural, and highly effective—no Oompa Loompa skin this summer!
Moisturizer: Earth Science Almond-Aloe Facial Moisturizer SPF 15—This moisturizer is super light, non-greasy, and is perfect for day or night.
Insect Repellent: Lafe's Organic Baby Bug Repellent—This gentle botanical oils formula is very effective, comes in a charming BPA-free bottle, and one percent of sales goes toward supporting breast cancer prevention and awareness.
Hot Summer Lipstick: Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Anime—If you’re looking for the go-to lipstick shade for summer fun, look no further. This hot pink shade is perfect for grabbing the attention of vegan beach boys. You go, girl.
Mineral Foundation: All Natural Face Mineral Foundation—This foundation offers beautiful coverage with light-reflecting minerals and UV protection. Its 51 shades are made from just a handful of natural ingredients, and it works with virtually any skin type.
Now that we’re all stocked up on summer essentials, let’s get our skin primed for sun-lovin’ perfection! Whether you have oily, dry, combination, or mature skin, there are some powerful antioxidant and vitamin-rich fruits and veggies that have the ability to transform your visage. Mosey on over to your kitchen and try these simple DIY beauty fixes.
3 Super Easy One-Ingredient Beauty Recipes
1. Banana. Mash one overripe banana and spread it onto your face. After 15 to 30 minutes, rinse it off with warm water. The natural fruit acids and vitamins in this face mask buff away dead skin cells, making it ideal for acne-prone skin—but it works wonders for all skin types.
2. Apple cider vinegar. Dilute one part apple cider vinegar with two parts water and use a cotton ball to apply it to your face as a toner. This toner is also great for acne-prone skin—it helps to clear blemishes by keeping your skin’s acidity in check and killing bacteria. Bonus: it fades age spots, too!
3. Avocado. Mash an avocado and leave it on your skin for 10 minutes. Avocados have natural sunscreen properties and they also help boost collagen and elastin cell growth, which means fewer fine lines and wrinkles.
For more of Sunny Subramanian’s awesome beauty recipes and product reviews, head on over to veganbeautyreview.com.
10 Scary Halloween Costumes Only Vegans Will Understand
Be the life (or death) of any Halloween party with costume ideas that'll scare any vegan.
Read More »
10 Best Vegan Pumpkin Finds at Trader Joes
Jumpstart the holiday season with pumpkin-ized chips, cookies, and more from Trader Joes.
Read More »
How to Celebrate Oktoberfest, Vegan Style
Beers, bars, brats, and Berlin are on the menu of our perfect Oktoberfest celebration.
Read More »
The 10 Best Vegan Boots for Every Occasion
Go from ranchhand to urban cowboy with these cruelty-free boots that are comfortable, stylish, and make you look like you mean business.
Read More »
Meatless Mondays at the Moonlite Bunny Ranch
World-famous brothel says goodbye to meat on Mondays thanks to a request from The Simpsons co-creator.
Read More »
- 10 Vegan Reasons We're Dreaming of Fall
- Two Sisters and Their Vegan Weddings
- Vegan Weddings 2016 (Jac Reasor & Jae Russell)
- How to Nail Your Ultimate Summer Look By Labor Day
- Vegan Weddings 2016 (Alex Payne & Nicole Brodeur)
- Vegan Weddings 2016 (Andrea Dermos & Kyle Domer)
- Vegan Weddings 2016 (Malissa Schwartz & Chad Sarno)
- Vegan Weddings 2016
- Vegan Survival Guide to Outside Lands
- Summer Fashion Tips from Stylish Vegan Sisters
- 4 Superheroes We Wish Were Vegan
- 4 Ways to Celebrate National Ice Cream Sandwich Day—Vegan Style!
- 5 Crazy Vegan Stereotypes—Smashed!
- Top 3 Vegan Parenting Myths, Busted
- A Vegan Moms Guide to the Kid Party Circuit
- The VegNews Bloggy Awards
- 5 Ways a Vegan Diet Can Help with Pregnancy
- 9 Vegan Foods to Beat the California Heat
- 5 Vegan Summer Date Ideas
- Vegan Swimmer to Traverse the English Channel for Charity