7 Must-Have Vegan Summer Beauty Essentials
We fill you in on everything you need to protect your skin, plus three one-ingredient beauty recipes.
Greetings, compassionate cuties! Summer’s almost here, and if you’re anything like me, you’re ready to hit the beach, soak up some sun, and chillax to the max. There are so many vegan and cruelty-free sunscreens, sunless tanners, moisturizers, makeup lines, and accessories to choose from that you can easily enjoy your fun in the sun completely guilt-free (and looking your best!). Here are some of my favorite cruelty-free beauty must-haves for summertime’s hot-hot heat.
Sunscreen: Jason Natural Cosmetics SPF 30 Mineral Sunscreen—What I love most about this sunscreen is that it goes on smoothly, rubs on clear, and is gentle enough for sensitive skin. It’s also contains chamomile and marigold, which calm and soothes the skin.
Sunless Tanner: Alba Botanica Very Emollient Sunless Tanning Lotion—We all know that baking in the sun can be unhealthy and dangerous, so opt for a safe alternative with the perfect sunless tanner. This formula is streak-free, all-natural, and highly effective—no Oompa Loompa skin this summer!
Moisturizer: Earth Science Almond-Aloe Facial Moisturizer SPF 15—This moisturizer is super light, non-greasy, and is perfect for day or night.
Insect Repellent: Lafe's Organic Baby Bug Repellent—This gentle botanical oils formula is very effective, comes in a charming BPA-free bottle, and one percent of sales goes toward supporting breast cancer prevention and awareness.
Hot Summer Lipstick: Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Anime—If you’re looking for the go-to lipstick shade for summer fun, look no further. This hot pink shade is perfect for grabbing the attention of vegan beach boys. You go, girl.
Mineral Foundation: All Natural Face Mineral Foundation—This foundation offers beautiful coverage with light-reflecting minerals and UV protection. Its 51 shades are made from just a handful of natural ingredients, and it works with virtually any skin type.
Now that we’re all stocked up on summer essentials, let’s get our skin primed for sun-lovin’ perfection! Whether you have oily, dry, combination, or mature skin, there are some powerful antioxidant and vitamin-rich fruits and veggies that have the ability to transform your visage. Mosey on over to your kitchen and try these simple DIY beauty fixes.
3 Super Easy One-Ingredient Beauty Recipes
1. Banana. Mash one overripe banana and spread it onto your face. After 15 to 30 minutes, rinse it off with warm water. The natural fruit acids and vitamins in this face mask buff away dead skin cells, making it ideal for acne-prone skin—but it works wonders for all skin types.
2. Apple cider vinegar. Dilute one part apple cider vinegar with two parts water and use a cotton ball to apply it to your face as a toner. This toner is also great for acne-prone skin—it helps to clear blemishes by keeping your skin’s acidity in check and killing bacteria. Bonus: it fades age spots, too!
3. Avocado. Mash an avocado and leave it on your skin for 10 minutes. Avocados have natural sunscreen properties and they also help boost collagen and elastin cell growth, which means fewer fine lines and wrinkles.
For more of Sunny Subramanian’s awesome beauty recipes and product reviews, head on over to veganbeautyreview.com.
The Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2014
From mac 'n' cheese to veganized Girl Scout cookies, we unveil the year's most popular (and downright delicious) vegan recipes.
Read More »
Earth Balance Named "Company of the Year"
From mac & cheese, cheddar puffs, and vegan Cheez-Its, Earth Balance does vegan right.
Read More »
The 2014 Veggie Awards
Our 13th annual list of the very best of all things vegan is finally here! Read on for this years reader picks for todays hottest vegan people, places, and products.
Read More »
How to Date a Meat-Eater
Fallen head over heels with someone who eats meat? Relationship and food experts Ayinde Howell and Zoe Eisenberg tell us how to make it work.
Read More »
Vegan Weddings 2014: Laura Robeson & Danielle Davis
Our 2014 wedding couples tied the knot with style, compassion, and great vegan food.
Read More »
- Budget Vegan: Four Ways to Save Big When Going Veg
- Vegan Weddings 2014: Ashley Moore & Jordan Coates
- Vegan Weddings 2014: Aliya & Michael Weber
- The Glycemic Index for Beginners
- VegNews Exclusive: An Interview with John Joseph
- 3 Cheap Ways to Stock Your Vegan Bar
- 3 Rules for Stellar Homemade Vegan Cheese
- How to Host a Summery Vegan Cocktail Party on the Cheap
- 10 Essentials for the Ultimate Fourth of July
- Vegan Father's Day
- 25 Ways to Relax, Vegan-Style
- Vegan Bakery Cinnaholic Wins Big on Shark Tank
- 9 Vegan Foods For Healthy, Beautiful Skin
- Zombie-Free French Toast
- Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi Adopt Esther the Wonder Pig
- A Day in the Life: Vedge Chef Rich Landau
- Colleen Holland: My Top 10 Favorite Vegan Beauty Brands
- Vegan St. Patricks Day 101
- Colleen Holland's 15 Most-Anticipated Vegan Cookbooks of 2014
- It's Never Too Late to Go Vegan