7 Must-Have Vegan Summer Beauty Essentials
We fill you in on everything you need to protect your skin, plus three one-ingredient beauty recipes.
Greetings, compassionate cuties! Summer’s almost here, and if you’re anything like me, you’re ready to hit the beach, soak up some sun, and chillax to the max. There are so many vegan and cruelty-free sunscreens, sunless tanners, moisturizers, makeup lines, and accessories to choose from that you can easily enjoy your fun in the sun completely guilt-free (and looking your best!). Here are some of my favorite cruelty-free beauty must-haves for summertime’s hot-hot heat.
Sunscreen: Jason Natural Cosmetics SPF 30 Mineral Sunscreen—What I love most about this sunscreen is that it goes on smoothly, rubs on clear, and is gentle enough for sensitive skin. It’s also contains chamomile and marigold, which calm and soothes the skin.
Sunless Tanner: Alba Botanica Very Emollient Sunless Tanning Lotion—We all know that baking in the sun can be unhealthy and dangerous, so opt for a safe alternative with the perfect sunless tanner. This formula is streak-free, all-natural, and highly effective—no Oompa Loompa skin this summer!
Moisturizer: Earth Science Almond-Aloe Facial Moisturizer SPF 15—This moisturizer is super light, non-greasy, and is perfect for day or night.
Insect Repellent: Lafe's Organic Baby Bug Repellent—This gentle botanical oils formula is very effective, comes in a charming BPA-free bottle, and one percent of sales goes toward supporting breast cancer prevention and awareness.
Hot Summer Lipstick: Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Anime—If you’re looking for the go-to lipstick shade for summer fun, look no further. This hot pink shade is perfect for grabbing the attention of vegan beach boys. You go, girl.
Mineral Foundation: All Natural Face Mineral Foundation—This foundation offers beautiful coverage with light-reflecting minerals and UV protection. Its 51 shades are made from just a handful of natural ingredients, and it works with virtually any skin type.
Now that we’re all stocked up on summer essentials, let’s get our skin primed for sun-lovin’ perfection! Whether you have oily, dry, combination, or mature skin, there are some powerful antioxidant and vitamin-rich fruits and veggies that have the ability to transform your visage. Mosey on over to your kitchen and try these simple DIY beauty fixes.
3 Super Easy One-Ingredient Beauty Recipes
1. Banana. Mash one overripe banana and spread it onto your face. After 15 to 30 minutes, rinse it off with warm water. The natural fruit acids and vitamins in this face mask buff away dead skin cells, making it ideal for acne-prone skin—but it works wonders for all skin types.
2. Apple cider vinegar. Dilute one part apple cider vinegar with two parts water and use a cotton ball to apply it to your face as a toner. This toner is also great for acne-prone skin—it helps to clear blemishes by keeping your skin’s acidity in check and killing bacteria. Bonus: it fades age spots, too!
3. Avocado. Mash an avocado and leave it on your skin for 10 minutes. Avocados have natural sunscreen properties and they also help boost collagen and elastin cell growth, which means fewer fine lines and wrinkles.
For more of Sunny Subramanian’s awesome beauty recipes and product reviews, head on over to veganbeautyreview.com.
Veganism Saved My Life: Mary Zdrojewski
In this series, we share stories of people who have witnessed extraordinary health overhauls thanks to a plant-based diet.
Read More »
4 Reasons Health Care Sucks (That Nobody Talks About)
The American healthcare system is easily fixed, so why isnt anyone fixing it?
Read More »
4 Vegan Resolutions for the New Year
A new year means a new opportunity to live an even better, healthier, more ethical life.
Read More »
17 Vegan Things We Can't Wait to Try in 2017
From plant-based burgers to vegan apparel, we can't wait to eat, smell, see, and wear the bounty of cruelty-free goods available to us this year!
Read More »
5 Ways Becoming Ill Made Me a Better Doctor
One cardiologists most important lessons were learned on the job, not in medical school.
Read More »
- My 5 Vegan New Years Resolutions
- The Ups and Downs of Running an Animal Sanctuary
- 5 Fit Tips for Winter
- 4 Ways to Avoid the Post-Holiday Blues
- How I Got My Rancher Husband to Go Vegan
- 9 Tips to Rid Yourself of Winter Woes
- 11 Vegan Gifts to Give Your Man for Hanukkah This Year
- 4 Easy Ways to Support Animals During the Holidays
- 5 Fun Holiday Movies that Vegans Can Enjoy
- 7 Household Items Easily Transformed into Vegan Holiday Decor
- The Top 15 Vegan Stories of 2016
- 5 Holiday Gifts for the Unapologetic Omnivore in Your Life
- 8 Ways To Make Your Holiday Gathering Eco-Friendly
- The Top 15 Vegan News Stories of 2016
- 9 Fair-Trade, Vegan Stocking Stuffers Under $100
- 10 Giant Vegan Things We're Lovin' Lately
- 11 Celebrity Vegans Whose Holiday Parties Ill Be Crashing
- 4 DIY Holiday Decorating Tips
- Three High-Intensity Workouts While You Bake
- 10 Tiny Vegan Things That Are Wildly Adorable