Makes 3 dozen
What you need:
- 1 cup pistachios, divided
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry y flour
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached cane sugar
- 1⁄4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Place 1⁄2 cup pistachios in a food processor, finely grind and transfer to a large bowl. Add pastry flour, sugar, crystallized ginger, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and sea salt, and mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix together water, agave nectar, vanilla and almond extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, along with the remaining pistachios and cranberries. Mix well to combine.
- Divide dough in half and transfer each half to a prepared cookie sheet. Moisten your hands with water and shape into 3x9-inch logs. Bake for 15 minutes, rotate cookie sheets, and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees. On a cutting board, using a serrated knife and sawing motion, cut each log into 1⁄2-inch thick slices. Lay slices flat on the same parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes until dry and lightly browned. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container for up to two weeks.