What You Need For The Filling:
- 1 pound organic fresh tofu
- Up to 1/2 cup water
- Kernels from 3 ears of corn
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or 2 tablespoons umeboshi paste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions or chives, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pitted black olives, sliced
What You Need For The Pastry:
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup light vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- To make filling, puree tofu, corn, and salt until smooth, adding water gradually and only if needed to blend. Fold in basil, green onions, and olives. Set aside.
- To make pastry, mix dry ingredients. Stir in oil, and gradually add water to form a smooth, moist dough. Handle dough as little as possible. Transfer to floured sheet of wax paper. Sprinkle with flour and place another sheet on top. Roll out thin and transfer to tart pan. Cut off pastry to within a finger’s width of the edge and fold it over toward the inside to make the rim.
- Pour in filling and bake until the surface is bright golden yellow in color, 40 to 60 minutes. Brush crust with oil in the last 5 minutes of baking if desired.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!