What you need:
- 2 to 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium whole leek, finely diced
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced, stemmed and seeded
- 14-ounce can garbanzo beans
- 1 each medium red and yellow pepper, seeded, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 2 cups corn kernels, fresh, frozen or canned
- 2 14-ounce cans coconut milk
- 2 cups water
What you do:
- Thoroughly clean the leek before chopping. Slicing it lengthwise and rinsing the inside is an effective way to clean it.
- In a medium pot, sauté the leek, carrots, garlic, cayenne, and jalapeno in the oil on medium-low heat. Stir the ingredients so that they do not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- When the leeks begin to soften, stir in the garbanzo beans, salt, red and yellow peppers, corn, coconut milk, and water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Love vegan food and cooking
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of