What you need:
- 1/4 cup tamari lite
- 3/4 cup vegetarian chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 7-ounce package chicken-flavored seitan, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 medium portabello mushroom cap, cut into chunks
- 1 10-ounce package baby spinach
- 1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 large fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 medium avocado, pitted, sliced, and drizzled with lime juice
What you do:
- Place seitan in a medium bowl and set aside. Combine tamari, broth, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and cilantro in a glass liquid measuring cup and pour over the seitan. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Spray a 10-inch frying pan with oil, remove the seitan from the marinade, and add to the pan with the mushrooms. Sauté 3 minutes. Spoon 3 tablespoons of the marinade over the mushrooms and seitan and lower heat to simmer. Keep warm while assembling the salad.
- Place the spinach in a large salad bowl. Arrange the onions, avocado, and strawberries around the perimeter and mound the seitan in the center surrounded by the mushrooms. Serve with dressing on the side.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!