Forget about caramelizing sugar—maple syrup and Sucanat combine to give the same rich color and flavor. Theres no wrong way to enjoy this smooth, decadent treat, whether youre using it to heartily douse your perfect summer sundae or eating it straight from the stove. For a butterscotch sauce, use brown rice syrup and a touch of butterscotch extract. Serve with baked or frozen desserts or as a dipping sauce for fruit. In need of inspiration for the ultimate caramel-covered vegan sundae? Check out pg. 90 of the July+August edition of VegNews!
Makes 1-1/2 cups
What you need:
- 3/4 cup soymilk
- 3/4 cup Sucanat
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or brown rice syrup
- 2 tablespoons filtered water
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 to 2 tablespoons rum, to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
What you do:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine soymilk, Sucanat, and maple syrup. Whisk for 3 minutes while cooking.
- In a small bowl, whisk together water and arrowroot. Add mixture to saucepan and whisk, while cooking, an additional 2 to 3 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in margarine, rum, and vanilla. Serve warm or chilled.