Makes 2 dozen cookies
What you need:
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Zest of one orange
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups whole grain spelt flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup non-hydrogenated margarine
- 3 tablespoons soymilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Powdered sugar for garnish
What you do:
- In a small bowl, place the dried cherries, dates, orange juice, and zest, and set aside for 5 minutes to allow the dried fruit to slightly soften. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and process for 10 seconds to roughly chop. Add the almonds and chocolate chips and process an additional 30 seconds. Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and set aside while preparing the cookie dough. You can also try the Apricot Coconut Filling.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the spelt flour and salt. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut the margarine into the flour mixture until the combination resembles coarse crumbs. Drizzle the soymilk and vanilla over the dry ingredients, and mix with your hands to form a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough into a 12-1/2-inch square, and then cut it into 2-1/2-inch smaller squares. Place 1-1/2 teaspoons of the reserved filling in the center of each square, and, using your fingers, shape the filling into a diagonal log. Bring the two opposite diagonal corners of each square to the center, pinch, and gently roll the flap to one side. Repeat for each of the squares.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Using a spatula, carefully transfer the shaped cookies onto the cookie sheets. Slightly press each cookie to flatten. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom. Allow the cookies to cool completely before storing them in an airtight container. If desired, dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!