What you need:
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons tamari, divided
- 1 tablespoon dark agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons garlic, minced and divided
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine, divided
- 1 cup onion, chopped and divided
- 1 cup portabello mushrooms, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, finely diced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 3/4 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 cups cooked French lentils
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a small loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside. In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste, 2 tablespoons tamari, agave, liquid smoke, and 1 tablespoon garlic. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons margarine and 1/2 cup onions. Sauté 5 minutes. Add the portabello mushrooms, and sauté for 7 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl. Add remaining 2 tablespoons margarine to the skillet and sauté the celery, carrot, remaining 2 teaspoons garlic, salt, and pepper over low heat. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a food processor, pulse the rice and lentils 10 times, then transfer to a large bowl. In the food processor, pulse cooked vegetables, Worcestershire sauce, remaining tablespoon tamari, mustard, parsley, arrowroot, and 1/3 cup of the tomato topping 10 times, then add vegetable mixture to rice and lentils. Fold in reserved sautéed onions and mushrooms, breadcrumbs, and the 1/2 cup chopped onion.
- Press half of the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and spread the top with half of the tomato topping. Then, press the rest of the mixture into the pan, and coat with the remaining tomato topping. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes until top is browned. Remove from oven and cool for 20 minutes before serving.