What you need:
- 4 large tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sea salt or kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 12-inch baguette or French bread
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh basil leaves, as garnish (whole or cut into ribbons)
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Dice the tomatoes and transfer to a medium bowl. Add the salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and vinegar to the tomatoes and mix well with a wooden spoon or your hands. Transfer the tomatoes to a mesh strainer and set over a bowl or sink. Drain 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the bread into 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch thick rounds. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with olive oil. Arrange the rounds on the baking sheet. Drizzle a few drops of additional olive oil over each round. Bake until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes.
- Allow the rounds to cool 5 minutes, then arrange on a serving platter. Top each round with roughly 1 tablespoon of tomato mixture, and drizzle with additional olive oil. Top with a fresh basil leaf.
Love vegan food and cooking
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of