Makes 3 dozen cookies
What you need:
- 2 cups barley flour
- 2 cups oat flour
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon non-aluminum baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 2/3 cup olive oil or safflower oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup roughly chopped raw cashews
- 2 (2.8-ouce) packages non-dairy, orange-flavored dark chocolate bars, cut into bite-size chunks
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine barley flour, oat flour, orange zest, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt, stirring well to combine. Add maple syrup, brown rice syrup, olive oil and vanilla extract, stirring well to form a soft dough. Add cashews and chopped chocolate, and fold gently to combine.
- Using olive oil, lightly oil 2 cookie sheets. Working in batches, drop cookie dough by tablespoonfuls onto the oiled cookie sheets, spacing them two inches apart.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned on bottom. Allow cookies to cool for 2 minutes before transferring them to a rack with a spatula to cool completely. Repeat portioning and baking procedure for remaining cookie dough. Place cookies in an airtight container for storage.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!