Makes 12 rolls
What you need:
- 2 ounces dried bean thread noodles or rice thread noodles
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 12 large rice-paper wrappers (8-inch round or larger)
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 8 ounces seasoned tofu, cut into 1/4-inch sticks
- 12 fresh basil or mint leaves
- Peanut sauce
What you do:
- Place the noodles in a bowl and cover with hot water. Soak 5 minutes, or until softened. Drain well in a mesh strainer and set aside.
- Cut each cucumber length in half crosswise. Remove and discard the seeds by scraping a spoon down the center of each piece. Cut each piece into thin strips.
- Fill a large bowl (at least several inches larger than the rice wrappers) with warm water. Soak 1 wrapper in the water until soft and pliable, 20-30 seconds. Remove the rice wrapper from the water and lay flat on a counter or cutting board.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of spinach leaves along one edge of the wrapper. Place an equal amount of noodles over the spinach. Top the noodles with 1-2 tablespoons of carrots and several pieces each of cucumber and tofu. Top the ingredients with a basil or mint leaf.
- Roll the wrapper, starting with the filling side, folding the ends over the filling as you roll and form a tight cylinder. Serve with small bowls of peanut sauce for dipping.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!