Makes one loaf
What You Need for the Topping:
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons maple sugar
What You Need for the Loaf:
- 1/4 cup canola, safflower, or sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup Sucanat, date sugar, or maple sugar
- 1-3/4 cups barley flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped chocolate chips
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Oil an 8 x 4 x 21/2” loaf pan and set aside. In a small bowl, mix the chopped chocolate chips and maple sugar; set aside. Mix the oil, syrup, soymilk, vinegar, and vanilla in another small bowl. In a separate, larger bowl, place the Sucanat; sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt into the chocolate chip mixture.
- Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, being careful not to overwork the batter. If the batter seems very stiff, add 1 tablespoon soymilk. Fold in 3/4 cup chopped chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the topping mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes, rotate the pan a half turn to ensure even baking, and bake 35 to 40 minutes more or until a knife inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.