Makes 18 cookies
What you need:
- 1/2 cup cocoa or carob powder
- 1/4 cup barley flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups shredded, toasted coconut
- 8 pitted dates
- 1 cup Sucanat, date sugar, or maple sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Sift the cocoa or carob powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of a food processor or blender. Add the coconut, dates, and Sucanat to the flour mixture. Process until the dates are chopped and the mixture comes together. With the machine running, add the water through the top; process until a dough forms.
- With a 1-ounce ice cream scoop or 2 spoons, scoop out 1 heaping tablespoon of the batter onto well-oiled or parchment-lined cookie sheets. Flatten the cookies slightly with the bottom of a cup or glass (dip the bottom of the cup or glass in warm water before flattening each cookie to prevent the batter from sticking to the glass.). With a fork dipped in warm water, press around the edges of each cookie, creating a fluted edge.
- Bake for 11 minutes and rotate the cookie sheets a half turn to ensure even baking. Bake 5 to 6 minutes more or until the cookies are golden around the edges. Let cool on the cookie sheets for 5 to 6 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.