What you need:
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup freshly chopped basil, divided
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced, and divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 6 Portobello mushrooms, destemmed
- 6 hamburger buns or rolls
- Choice of toppings such as lettuce, tomatoes, onions, avocado, vegan cheese, etc.
What you do:
- Preheat the grill. Place the sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl, pour the hot water over them, and set them aside for 15 minutes to rehydrate. In a food processor, place the sun-dried tomato mixture, 1/2 cup chopped basil, 1 tablespoon garlic, and the mayonnaise, and process for 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a small bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining chopped basil and garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and tamari, and set aside. Dip each of the mushrooms in the marinade and place them on the hot grill, stem-side down. Grill the mushrooms for 5 minutes, carefully flip them over, and grill an additional 4 to 5 minutes or until tender.
- Slice the buns and lightly toast on the grill, if desired. Serve the grilled mushrooms on buns with your choice of toppings and a few spoonfuls of the flavored mayonnaise or other condiments of choice.