Serves 6 to 8
What You Need for the Casserole:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, diced
- 1-1/2 cups cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 2-1/4 cups canned or cooked pinto beans
- 2 cups chopped ripe tomatoes, or one 16-ounce can diced tomatoes, lightly drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- l/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt to taste
What You Need for the Cornmeal Topping:
- 1-l/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated vegan margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
What you do:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté until it is translucent. Add the garlic and bell pepper and continue to sauté until the onion is golden brown. Add the corn kernels, pinto beans, tomatoes, and seasonings. Stir well and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt. Remove from the heat.
- Combine the cornmeal with 2 cups of water in a deep saucepan. Bring to a simmer, whisking frequently to avoid lumps. Slowly whisk in 3 additional cups of water. Add the salt and cook over low heat, covered, whisking occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the margarine and remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Oil a shallow, 2-quart round or rectangular baking dish. and pour in the skillet mixture. Top with the cooked cornmeal, patting it in smoothly. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the cornmeal is golden and begins to get crusty. Let stand for 10 minutes, then scoop out sections to serve.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!