What you need:
- 1 orange
- 1 ¾ cups water, divided
- ¾ cup sugar, divided
What you do:
1. Using a vegetable peeler, peel thin slices of orange peel from the orange.
2. In a small saucepot, place the orange peels and add ½ cup water. Bring to a boil and let cook for 5 minutes. Drain the water, place the peels back in the pot, and refill with ½ cup water.
3. Bring the water to a boil again, let cook for 5 minutes, and drain. Repeat this process one more time to release the bitterness from the orange peels.
4. Bring ¼ sugar, ¼ cup of water, and the orange peels to a boil and let cook on medium/high heat until liquid bubbles away.
5. Remove from heat, spread peels out to cool on parchment paper. Once the candied peels have semi-dried (about 10 minutes), roll them in the remaining sugar until thoroughly coated. Store in refrigerator or freezer.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!