Have you been wanting to go green? This simple soup recipe might be the tastiest way of all time to accomplish your eco-friendly goals. If you don’t care for cilantro, fresh basil will give this a lovely, pesto-ish flavor, while keeping the soup fresh and green. This recipe is adapted from “White Gazpacho” in A Taste of Heaven and Earth by Bettina Vitell.
Serves 4 to 6
What you need:
- 4 large cucumbers, peeled and seeds removed, chopped into large pieces
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, pitted, and scooped out
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 2 medium green bell peppers, seeds and ribs removed, chopped in large pieces
- 4 green onions, chopped in large pieces
- 2 cups water
- Juice of 1 1/2 lemons
- 1/3 small bunch of cilantro, cleaned
- Freshly ground black pepper, a pinch of cayenne pepper, and paprika
What you do:
- Set aside a few sprigs of the cilantro for garnish. Put the cucumber, avocado, garlic, peppers and onions in a food processor. Blend until creamy, adding water a little at a time to desired consistency. Add lemon juice, cilantro, salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste. Serve with paprika sprinkled on top and cilantro for garnish. If using a blender rather than a food processor, add the cucumbers slowly at first, blending as you go, so there’s a liquid base for the other ingredients.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!