Hints of orange and ginger shine in this generously spiced pumpkin bread, which is also packed with essential fatty acids.
Makes one loaf
What you need:
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons raw sunflower seeds
- 1-1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2/3 cup Sucanat
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin purée
- Juice and zest of 1/2 orange
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for oiling pan
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger, finely chopped
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place pumpkin and sunflower seeds in a loaf pan and toast for 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer seeds to a small bowl. When pan is cool, lightly oil with olive oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, Sucanat, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add pumpkin purée, orange juice and zest, water, and oil, and stir gently to combine all ingredients.
- Stir in cranberries, ginger, and 2/3 of the toasted seeds. Pour batter into prepared pan, sprinkle with remaining seeds and press into top of loaf. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!