Author Julie Hasson shares this recipe from her brand new book, Vegan Diner. Top all your biscuits with this rich, homey gravy.
What You Need:
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 cups plain unsweetened soymilk
- 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper, or to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
What You Do:
- In a large saucepan, whisk together flour and nutritional yeast. Whisk in soymilk until the mixture is very smooth and there are no lumps. Whisk in sage and onion. Add salt, black pepper, and white pepper to taste.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat, and whisking continuously, bring to a simmer. Whisk in margarine. Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue whisking for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the gravy is thickened and smooth. Remove from heat and adjust seasonings to taste.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!