This vegan version of beef and rice, created by cooking instructor, Katherine Lawrence, combines heart-healthy red wine with veggie beef for a supper sure to please.
What you need:
½ onion, sliced
1 tablespoon water 3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups mushrooms, sliced thick
¾ cup red wine
2 ¼ cups vegan beef cubes, cut in half
2 cups vegetable broth
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon whole-wheat pastry flour
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons soy sauce
4 cups cooked brown rice
What you do:
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion until light brown. Add 1 tablespoon water and cook for 3 to 4 more minutes until dark brown and sweet. During last 2 minutes of cooking, add garlic. Remove onions and garlic from saucepan and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook mushrooms in a single layer for 5 minutes until light brown. Turn mushrooms and cook for 5 more minutes on remaining side. Remove mushrooms from saucepan and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add in wine and simmer for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add beef tips and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix remaining ingredients (except rice) broth, flour, salt, pepper, soy sauce, and whisk until flour lumps are dissolved. Increase heat to medium-high. Add onions, garlic, mushrooms, and gravy mixture to the beef and wine sauce. Continue to cook until gravy thickens. Stir constantly.
- Serve the beefless tips and gravy over brown rice.
Click here to watch Katherine Lawrence prepare this hearty dish on VegNews TV.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!