A friend inspired these rolls after she sampled a plate of my coconut rice and told me of the fabulous lettuce rolls that her family often enjoyed back in Thailand. The filling and lettuce leaves can also be wrapped up in tortillas for a more traditional type of wrap, if desired.
Makes 12 wraps
What you need:
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/4 cup Jasmine rice, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 large leaves of loose leaf lettuce, green or red-tipped
What you do:
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add rice, ginger, and garlic. Stir, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed. Transfer cooked rice to a bowl and fluff with a fork. Add the remaining ingredients, except the lettuce leaves, and stir well to combine.
- Place 1/3 cup of the rice mixture in the center of each lettuce leaf, fold the sides of each leaf towards the center, and then starting from the stem end of the leaf, roll to enclose the filling. Place seam side down on a platter. Repeat for the remaining lettuce leaves.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!