With bright purple eggplant coming into season, nothing beats tender, grilled slices drizzled with a savory sesame-mint sauce. And as every gardener knows, mint grows wildly in the summer, so ask a neighbor if they have any to share before heading to the store. Try tossing the eggplant on the grill for a real summer treat.
What You Need for the Eggplant:
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 3 cups soymilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup sifted whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups spinach
- Fresh mint sprigs
What You Need for the Sesame Mint Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, finely minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon spicy curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
What you do:
- In a pan, combine eggplant, soymilk, and salt. Soak overnight in a covered glass container in the refrigerator. Remove eggplant from milk, drain, and dry with a paper towel. In a blender, mix Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, salt, black pepper, garlic, and parsley until very smooth.
- Pour paste into a mixing bowl and add white wine and whole-wheat flour. Completely coat each slice of eggplant with spicy flour mixture. In a large frying pan, heat olive oil to just hot over medium heat, never smoking. Fry eggplant until tender and golden brown.
- In a medium-sized frying pan, heat olive oil to just hot. Add the garlic, sesame seeds, fresh mint, salt, black pepper, and curry powder, stirring constantly. Brown slightly and add Worcestershire sauce, white wine, and orange juice. Lower heat and reduce to desired consistency.
- Place eggplant on a bed of fresh spinach leaves, top with hot Sesame Mint Sauce, and garnish with sprigs of fresh mint.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!