A veganized version of a classic Jewish cookie, Rugelach is a morsel of pastry dough filled with cinnamon, sugar, plump raisins, and walnuts. We’re in love.
Makes 48 cookies
What you need:
For the dough:
- 1 8-ounce container vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups flour
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup spreadable apricot preserves
- Sugar for sprinkling
What you do:
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and margarine until creamy. Add sugar and vanilla, mix well, and stir in flour until just combined. Onto a well-floured surface, place dough and form it into a ball. Cut the ball into 4 equal parts. Slightly flatten each ball and wrap in plastic and refrigerate for one hour.
- To make the filling, in a food processor, pulse sugar, cinnamon, raisins, and walnuts until well combined.
- On a well-floured surface, place one ball of dough and roll it into a 9-inch circle. Spread about 2 tablespoons of apricot preserves onto dough. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of nut mixture on top of preserves and lightly press into dough. Using a sharp knife or pizza wheel, cut circle into 4 quarters and then cut each quarter into 3 equal pieces.
- Starting with outer edge, roll each piece toward center. On a baking sheet lined with a Silpat liner or parchment paper, place cookies, pointed edge down, and refrigerate for 1/2 hour. Repeat this process with remaining 3 pieces of dough.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove prepared cookies from refrigerator and glaze each one with a small amount of apricot preserves and a sprinkling of sugar. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly browned before letting cool completely on a wire rack.
Check out all of our 2011 VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest Winners!
First Place: Chocolate Sugar Cookies Iced with Crushed Candy Cane Topping by Celeste Hill
Second Place: Vegan Rugelach by Lisa Peterson
Third Place: Cinnamon & Chocolate Linzer Cookies by Jess Nadel
Honorable Mention: Soynog Whoopie Pies with Cinnamon-Chocolate Cream Cheese Topped with Chocolate Drizzle by Diana Chow