This comforting recipe from Julie Hasson’s Vegan Diner, will quickly satisfy your need for diner food. Make it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
For the Fluffy Biscuits
What You Need:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) shortening, chilled
- 3/4 cup unsweetened soymilk (or other non-dairy milk)
What You Do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut shortening into the flour, until it becomes sandy-textured and has little bits of shortening the size of small peas. Add soymilk and stir just until the dough comes together. It should be a little sticky.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and gently pat into a mound about 1-inch thick. Using a 3-inch round biscuit or cookie cutter (or an upside-down glass), cut out 6 biscuits. Make sure not to twist the cutter or glass, just press straight down.
- Place biscuits on the prepared baking sheet about one-inch apart. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Halve warm biscuits, and serve topped with Creamy Sage Gravy.
Subscribe now to the world’s #1