This comforting recipe from Julie Hasson’s Vegan Diner, will quickly satisfy your need for diner food. Make it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
For the Fluffy Biscuits
What You Need:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) shortening, chilled
- 3/4 cup unsweetened soymilk (or other non-dairy milk)
What You Do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut shortening into the flour, until it becomes sandy-textured and has little bits of shortening the size of small peas. Add soymilk and stir just until the dough comes together. It should be a little sticky.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and gently pat into a mound about 1-inch thick. Using a 3-inch round biscuit or cookie cutter (or an upside-down glass), cut out 6 biscuits. Make sure not to twist the cutter or glass, just press straight down.
- Place biscuits on the prepared baking sheet about one-inch apart. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Halve warm biscuits, and serve topped with Creamy Sage Gravy.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!