This robust vegetable casserole highlights simple yet flavorful ingredients such as aromatic basil, tender zucchini, and zesty grilled tomatoes.
What You Need:
- For the marinade:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- Salt to taste
- For the casserole:
- 1 pound zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1-1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly chopped basil for garnish
What You Do:
- In a large bowl, combine all marinade ingredients. Add zucchini and tomatoes and let sit for 20 to 30 minutes. Grill vegetables on grill or under broiler until tender. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, warm olive oil and sauté onion and garlic until soft. Remove from heat and stir in breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and oil a baking dish. Cover bottom of oiled dish with a layer of grilled zucchini, then a layer of grilled tomatoes and top with breadcrumb mixture. Salt and pepper each layer and repeat. Bake covered for 15 minutes, then uncover and continue to cook until vegetables are soft and top has browned, approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh basil before serving.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!