With cherry season in full bloom, there’s no better time to whip up these crave-worthy confections, which pack a sweet and satisfying punch minus the gluten.
Makes 36 cookies
What you need:
- 3/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine
- 1 tablespoon liquid lecithin
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups brown rice flour
- 2/3 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cherries, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl, place sugar, applesauce, apple juice, margarine, lecithin, orange zest, vanilla, and almond extract, and stir well to combine.
- Add brown rice flour, arrowroot, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt, and stir well. Fold in chopped cherries and walnuts.
- Working in batches, drop tablespoons of dough onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow cookies to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!