On evenings when you need something with just a little bit of green, this pasta dish fits the bill. Hearty and flavorful, it’s perfect for nights when you’re hungry but short on time and groceries. Of course, broccoli or cauliflower can be substituted for the asparagus to better suit your personal taste.
- 4 quarts water
- 8 ounces farfalle (bowtie) pasta
- 1 bunch asparagus, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add farfalle and cook until just underdone, about 5 minutes. Place a steamer basket over boiling farfalle, and steam asparagus for 2 minutes. Remove steamer basket and run asparagus under cold water to stop cooking. Drain farfalle and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil and non-hydrogenated margarine over medium heat. Add garlic and nutmeg, and cook until garlic is fragrant, about two minutes. Add farfalle, asparagus, and pine nuts and stir. Add salt and pepper, tossing to combine. Remove from heat and serve.
Love the plant-based lifestyle as much as we do?
Get the BEST vegan recipes, travel, celebrity interviews, product picks, and so much more inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!