Maybe in the past you’ve thought of rice as the bland, less-exciting half of rice and beans. Maybe you’ve never really given much consideration to the fluffy brown bed on which your stir-fry sits. Those days are over, thanks to the ingenuity in this recipe. Yes, though you could eat this on its own, it pairs perfectly with fresh guacamole, simmered black beans, and your favorite margarita.
Makes 5 cups
What you need:
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro leaves and stems, rinsed, and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Zest and juice of two limes
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups long-grain brown rice
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a blender, purée onion, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper, lime zest and juice, and water.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil and rice, and lightly toast for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro mixture. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once rice boils, place saucepan into oven and bake for 50 minutes. Remove and let sit covered for 10 minutes. Remove cover and fluff rice with fork before serving.
Love vegan food and cooking
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of