Serves 8 to 10
What you need:
- 2 15-ounce cans baby butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 15-ounce cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 15-ounce cans red beans or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 cups diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup diced jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 8-ounce package multigrain tempeh, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 2-1/2-quart ovenproof casserole dish, place butter beans, navy beans, and red beans and set aside.
- In a non-stick skillet, sauté onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil for 5 minutes to soften. Add green pepper, jalapeño, and garlic and sauté an additional 3 minutes or until onions are lightly browned. Transfer sautéed vegetables to bean mixture. In the same skillet, sauté tempeh in remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil for 7 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Add tamari and sauté an additional 1 to 2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Add tempeh and remaining ingredients to bean mixture and stir well to combine.
- Cover the casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Serve hot or cold.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!