One of the perks of a raw vegan diet is the variety of incredibly delicious desserts that not only taste great but are also a wonderful source of plant-based nutrition for your body. Low in fat and filled with decadent chocolate pumpkin spice flavor, these cannolis are the perfect addition to your healthy holiday menu and can be enjoyed at home or served at social gatherings.
What You Need:
For the cannoli shells:
2 cups banana
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
For the chocolate pumpkin filling:
1½ teaspoon vanilla bean powder
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
2 medjool dates, pitted, or 2 teaspoons date sugar
¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
¼ cup raw cacao powder
½ cup avocado
1 cup raw carrot
Crushed almonds, for garnish
What You Do:
1. For the cannoli shells, in a food processor, blend ingredients. Spread mixture onto a teflex dehydrator tray, and then place in the dehydrator. The batter should be approximately ¼-inch thick.
2. Set dehydrator temperature to 140 degrees for the first hour, then turn down the temperature to 118 degrees. Continue dehydrating until the exposed side is dry to the touch and can be peeled off the tray, approximately 4 to 6 hours depending on your climate and dehydrator.
3. Gently peel off entire cannoli sheet, flip over onto the dehydrator sheet, and remove teflex sheet. Place dehydrator sheet with the cannoli shell wrap mixture back into the dehydrator, and continue dehydrating at 118 degrees for approximately 2 hours or until dried yet still bendable. Remove cannoli sheet from dehydrator and cut into 5-inch circles.
4. For the chocolate pumpkin filling, in a high-speed blender, blend all ingredients (except almonds) until emulsified. Taste mixture and adjust sweetness and seasoning to your individual liking.
5. Spoon mixture into your circular cannoli shell cut-outs, then roll up, placing a half toothpick into the center to hold. Top with crushed raw almonds (or any nuts of your choosing).
Photo by Natalie Norman
Let’s get FABULOUS! Order your copy