Coconut cream should be a staple in all kitchens because it serves as an easy way to recreate classic recipes without having to use dairy. Furthermore, coconut cream pairs perfectly with a fruit coulis or with a slice of gooey chocolate cake. With this in mind, we’re presenting an exquisite strawberry coco that is delicious any time of year.
What you need:
1½ cups coconut cream
⅓ cup superfine sugar*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon beet powder (optional)
2 ¾ cups strawberries
2 strawberry-basil chantilly
*for best results, grind the sugar into a spice grinder
What you do:
1. Let cream sit for approximately 5 hours in a refrigerator. Ten minutes before mixing, also place the whisk of your electric mixer in the freezer (the colder it is, the easier it will be to achieve a beautiful whipped cream).
2. Into a large bowl, add cream and 1 tablespoon sugar. Whisk for 30 seconds while gradually increasing the speed of your mixer. Incorporate remaining sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, gradually increasing the speed of your mixer with each spoonful. Whisk at 30-second intervals until all the sugar is incorporated.
3. Add vanilla and mix at maximum speed for another 2 minutes.
4. Divide mixture into two equal portions, and add beet powder into one of them. Mix gently with a spatula. Refrigerator for 2 hours.
5. Hull the strawberries and slice thinly lengthwise. To serve, spread chantilly over strawberries, and top with basil leaves.
Photo courtesy of Mimie Demay
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!