Coconut cream should be a staple in all kitchens because it serves as an easy way to recreate classic recipes without having to use dairy. Furthermore, coconut cream pairs perfectly with a fruit coulis or with a slice of gooey chocolate cake. With this in mind, we’re presenting an exquisite strawberry coco that is delicious any time of year.
What you need:
⅓ cup superfine sugar*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon beet powder (optional)
2 ¾ cups strawberries
2 strawberry-basil chantilly
*for best results, grind the sugar into a spice grinder
What you do:
1. Let cream sit for approximately 5 hours in a refrigerator. Ten minutes before mixing, also place the whisk of your electric mixer in the freezer (the colder it is, the easier it will be to achieve a beautiful whipped cream).
2. Into a large bowl, add cream and 1 tablespoon sugar. Whisk for 30 seconds while gradually increasing the speed of your mixer. Incorporate remaining sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, gradually increasing the speed of your mixer with each spoonful. Whisk at 30-second intervals until all the sugar is incorporated.
3. Add vanilla and mix at maximum speed for another 2 minutes.
4. Divide mixture into two equal portions, and add beet powder into one of them. Mix gently with a spatula. Refrigerator for 2 hours.
5. Hull the strawberries and slice thinly lengthwise. To serve, spread chantilly over strawberries, and top with basil leaves.
Photo courtesy of Mimie Demay