Looking to take your grilled cheese sandwiches to the next level? This vegan variation of the classic French sandwich, courtesy of Moore Rhys’ Butch Home Ec, will impress your friends, and perhaps even inspire you to dust off that beret in the back of your closet.
What you need:
¼ cup peeled, diced sweet potato
½ cup water
3 ounces firm tofu
1 tablespoon tapioca flour or cornstarch
¼ cup soy milk
¼ teaspoon turmeric
⅛ teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 slices bread
4 slices vegan cheese
4 vegan deli slices
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
What you do:
1. In a microwave-safe bowl, add sweet potatoes and cover with water. Microwave sweet potatoes for 2 minutes on high power, then drain.
2. Into a blender, combine sweet potatoes, tofu, tapioca flour, soy milk, turmeric, and salt. Blend on high until smooth. Into a wide shallow bowl, pour sweet potato mixture.
3. To assemble sandwiches, spread one teaspoon of mustard onto each slice of bread. Layer one slice of bread with two slices of cheese and two slices of deli meat, and top with another layer of bread. Repeat with second sandwich.
4. Heat skillet to medium-low heat and add 1 teaspoon vegetable oil. Dip prepared sandwiches into sweet potato-tofu mixture, spooning to cover sandwiches completely.
5. Carefully add sandwiches to skillet and cover. Turn heat up to medium-high and fry until golden brown on one side, then flip, and brown the other side. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking, with cover on, until cheese melts.
Moore Rhys has been vegan for 24 years, and is the co-creator of Butch Home Ec—an all-inclusive, gender-bending vegan brand focused on making inexpensive and comfortable things beautiful, ethical, and DIY-friendly.
Photo courtesy of Butch Home Ec
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!