Vegans don’t just eat salads. But when they do, sometimes, it’s in cupcake form! We’re taking a page from Ysanne Spevack’s new cookbook Vegetable Cakes and getting our daily serving of veg in a moist, sweet, and totally unique cupcake.
What you need:
2½ cups whole wheat flour
⅓ cup coconut sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon sea salt
4 large lettuce leaves, roughly chopped
1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
½ cups walnut pieces
1½ cups apple sauce
½ cups olive oil
12 apple slices
12 baby lettuce leaves
2 tablespoons canned coconut cream, for drizzling
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with 12 cupcake liners.
- Into a bowl, whisk flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Into a blender, add chopped lettuce, celery, apple sauce, and olive oil, and blend on low for 30 seconds. Increase to high speed for additional 30 seconds.
- Pour mixture into dry ingredients and stir to combine. Fill muffin liners until nearly full and top each with apple slices and baby lettuce leaves.
- Place cupcake pan in oven and bake for 30 minutes, until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool in cupcake pan. Once cool, drizzle with coconut cream and serve immediately.
Photo credit: Ysanne Spevack