Tempeh Mushroom Burgers
Fire up the grill this weekend for this delicious homemade burger.
August 25, 2013
Just add buns, lettuce, tomato, avocado, and all your favorite vegan condiments, and you’re ready for a fast, filling, and utterly fantastic meal.
Serves 4 to 6
What you need:
- 1 8-ounce package multigrain tempeh, 1/2-inch cubed
- 3⁄4 cup onion, 1/8-inch diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus additional for cooking
- 1⁄2 cup crimini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, thyme, and rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon each garlic and onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup whole-wheat or spelt flour
- 2 tablespoons tamari
What you do:
- Place tempeh in a steamer basket and cook for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a skillet, sauté the onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté an additional 3 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar and seasonings, and sauté an additional 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
- Using your fingers, crumble the steamed tempeh into a bowl. Add the sautéed mixture, flour, tamari, and remaining olive oil, and stir well to combine. Portion mixture into burgers.
- Lightly oil a large skillet with a little olive oil, and place over medium heat. Cook the burgers until well browned, about 5 to 7 minutes per side, adding additional oil, if needed, to prevent sticking.