These tangy, homemade cashew sour cream scones from the No-Waste Save-the-Planet Vegan Cookbook are a delicious, carb-loaded vessel for soup or as an indulgent pairing to a fresh, crisp salad.
What you need:
For the cashew sour cream:
2 cups raw cashews
½ cup unsweetened plain vegan yogurt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
Water, as needed
For the scones:
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup cold vegan butter, cubed
⅓ cup cashew sour cream, divided
3 scallions, white and green parts, chopped and squeezed dry
What you do:
- For the cashew sour cream, in a medium-size bowl fitted with lid, add cashews. Cover with filtered water and stir. Cover bowl with lid and soak overnight at room temperature.
- Drain and rinse cashews. Transfer to a high-speed blender with remaining ingredients and 2 tablespoons water. Blend on high until completely smooth. Add more water as needed, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Transfer to a medium-size bowl fitted with a lid and let stand at room temperature overnight so it becomes sour. Once ready, transfer to refrigerator for another 2 days to allow a slower souring process to develop.
- For the scones, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and pepper. Transfer to a food processor. Add butter and pulse a few times to distribute. Add sour cream and pulse a few more times. Add scallions and pulse to distribute. Transfer dough to baking mat and shape into an 8 × 4-inch log. Cut into 4 equal scones, leaving 1½ inches between scones.
- Bake for 22 to 24 minutes or until golden brown. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.