Who wants lentil when you can have this savory, rich blend of Thai spices? We can’t get enough coconut in the VNHQ, and using luxurious coconut milk as a soup base is just one of the myriad ways we enable our addiction. Warming, comforting, and simply scrumptious, this is a knock-your-socks-off soup.
What you need:
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup fresh galangal or ginger, grated
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Asian chili paste
- 2 14-ounce cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
What you do:
- In a large saucepan, combine the stock, ginger, lime juice and zest, lemon juice, tamari, brown sugar and chili paste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the coconut milk, tofu and mushrooms, and simmer until the flavors have combined and the mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes.