Is there anything better than fresh avocado in a tangy salad dressing? Yeah, we can’t think of anything either. Not only do avocadoes boast their signature indulgent taste, they’re also high in potassium, folate, and vitamins K and E. OK, you caught us—we’d totally gobble up the green goodies even if they had no redeeming nutritional value whatsoever. The other super star of this salad is jicama. A quick tip for peeling jicama: quarter the bulb and slide a pairing knife under the skin at one of the triangular tips of a quarter. Then, holding the skin between your thumb and the knife, peel the skin toward yourself, away from the jicama.
What you need:
- 5 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon lime zest, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups butter lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1 large jicama, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 ripe avocadoes, pitted and diced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 12 brine-cured black olives, pitted and halved
What you do:
- In a small bowl, combine lime juice, marmalade, lime zest, salt, and hot pepper sauce, and mix well. Whisk in olive oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine lettuce, jicama, avocadoes, tomatoes, and olives. Pour on dressing, and toss gently to coat.
Subscribe now to the world’s #1