Sometimes, you need peanut butter. When the cravings are so intense that you’re likely to take a spoon to the nearest jar, make this incredible coconut-peanut sauce, and keep your dignity intact. Rich, flavorful, and packed with protein, this simmer is sure to satisfy.
What you need:
- 1 8-ounce package tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari, divided
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
What you do:
- Poach tempeh in a skillet of simmering water for 15 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add tempeh and 1 tablespoon tamari and cook until browned on all sides. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the peanut butter, scallions, ginger, garlic, coconut milk, lime juice, brown sugar, cayenne, and remaining tamari. Process until smooth.
- Stir peanut sauce into the skillet with the tempeh and simmer until hot and slightly reduced, about 7 to 10 minutes. Serve garnished with peanuts and cilantro.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!