What you need:
- 2 large, firm, unblemished eggplants
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1/4 cup tahini
- Juice of one lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Poke several holes all over the eggplants and bake on a cookie sheet or shallow pan for 30 minutes, or until the skin is shriveled.
- Remove eggplants from the oven and place in a large bowl. Let cool for 5 minutes. Cut off the stem tips and slice each eggplant in half length-wise. Scoop out the flesh and transfer it to another bowl. Discard the skin.
- With a sharp knife, cut the eggplant into small pieces. It should be soft enough to become mushy as you cut it. Add the garlic, tahini, and lemon, and mix with a fork. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill until ready to serve.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!