What you need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2/3 cup peanut butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives (optional)
What you do:
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and stock and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes. Stir in the peanut butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If a chunky soup is desired, it can be served at this point, garnished with the chives. For a smooth soup, purée the mixture in a blender or food processor, or use an immersion blender to purée it right in the pot. Return the soup to the pot and heat over medium heat until hot, about 5 minutes. Serve garnished with the chives, if using.