What you need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 pound orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Lime wedges (for serving)
What you do:
- In a large pot over medium heat, add oil, onions, celery, sweet potatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika, nutmeg, cumin, cinnamon and red chili flakes. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add lentils, water, tomatoes, beans and bay leaves to pot. Stir, increase heat to high to bring to boil, then lower heat and simmer for 25 minutes or longer, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes and lentils are soft.
- Stir in lime juice, season to taste with additional salt and pepper, and serve with lime wedges.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!